Eurotunnel Resume Services After Lorry Fire


Eurotunnel services have resumed after a lorry fire forced the closure of the Channel Tunnel.Eurotunnel’s ‘Le Shuttle’ car service began operation in the early hours of this morning as soon as French firefighters gave the all-clear.

Eurostar, which runs passenger services linking St Pancras in London with Paris and Brussels, said it planned to run a full service today “for passengers who have an existing reservation for this date”.

However, trains are expected to be delayed by between 30 and 60 minutes because only one tunnel will be open.

Eurostar advised those whose trains had been cancelled not to go to stations unless they had already been re-booked.

“If you were on a cancelled train today and need to travel urgently tomorrow, please call our contact centre on 03432 186 186 after 8am GMT tomorrow and we will try to re-book you on a service departing after 12pm GMT,” it said.

“Services are expected to run Sunday, with delays – stations will be *very* busy so if you can postpone then that is advisable,” it tweeted.

Thousands of passengers were left stranded on Saturday when dozens of services were cancelled on both sides of the Channel after smoke was detected on the French side of the tunnel.

Eurotunnel spokesman John O’Keefe said a “smouldering load” was found in the trailer of the lorry which had been travelling through the north tunnel, but said there was “no major fire”.

No injuries were reported.

Eurotunnel had tweeted that the alarm was triggered after CO2 detectors were activated in one tunnel.

A Kent Police spokesman said: “A lorry fire led to the closure of both bores of the Channel Tunnel.

“The fire was at the French end of the tunnel and is being dealt with by the French authorities. There are no reported injuries.”

In March, hundreds of Eurostar passengers were delayed after a lightning strike triggered a fire in a building close to the entrance to the tunnel in Kent.

Although there was no damage to the track, four trains in and out of England were affected.

Three eventually reached their destination but the fourth, which had been heading to Paris, was forced to turn back to London.

< Previous Article
Next Article >
About the Author